Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What I'll Miss Most

Hey there, kiddies.

I've had a lot of extra time to think lately. My drive to work, while a much further distance than it was previously, takes about the same amount of time, only now I get to drive most all of it on the interstate, as opposed to before when I had to take surface streets the whole way there. Much slower. Too many lights. And now, too much construction. The point is, now I can space out and just drive a fairly empty road without having to stop every seven seconds. During that time I've figured out two things. One, Smiley's show is actually funnier than Bob & Tom, though overall they both kinda suck. The other, I figured out what I'll miss the most about my old job.

I hadn't thought much about the subject before. I just didn't pop into my head. But as I drove I started to break down the various elements of the job that I actually enjoyed. These elements were few, to be sure. The job itself was actually really shitty, but there were some high points. Please note that I am NOT including people in this list. Yes, I liked most of the people I worked with in Indy. The people I couldn't stand where, oddly enough, the people I was told that I would not be able to stand before I started the job. Amazing how that worked out.

Anyway, excluding people, I realized what I'll miss the most. I really liked the parking. Sure it cost $10 a week, but it was covered (no ice scraping or 2000 degree car) and I could park there anytime I was downtown, which came in pretty handy during football season. That was pretty cool. Next, I miss my iPhone. I still have the phone, as I had to buy it myself because the company I worked for would only buy them for "certain" people. Nice. If I hadn't bought it myself, I would have been stuck with a three year old Blackberry. It sucked. But the iPhone was friggin' awesome. I love that thing. Next, I liked the money. It wasn't a lot, and we were all actually way underpaid for the demands placed upon us. But that's the way it goes when the firm you work for is failing. Finally, I enjoyed MacBook Pro they gave me. I liked having a laptop, espcially one with the pop of a MBP. That's pretty much it. Literally every other aspect of the job was a nightmare.

Here's what I realized next. I'll someday be making much more money on my current career path than I ever would at my old job. I had pretty much reached the last level I could (or, more accurately, would want to) reach, and since raises were being all but eliminated, I wasn't going to be bringing in any more scratch. And since I still have my iPhone, I can always get the service myself, so that's not a big deal. And MBP's can be purchased at your nearest Apple Store. So in the end, the only thing that I miss about my old job it the parking.

Parking.

Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment